The Vasaloppet USA ski races scheduled for Feb. 13-14, 2021 will still take place with significant changes according to Vasaloppet organizers’ just released COVID-19 race plans.
“It’s going to be different, but they will ski,” said one of the race organizers, Wade Weber.
Mora’s ski trails maintained by Vasaloppet USA are utilized all winter long, especially since man-made snow guarantees ski-able trails. The trails draw many visitors from outside the area. Weber noted that only 11% of Vasaloppet USA ski racers are local; 66% are from the metro area.
A special race committee has been working for the past several months on the 2021 race plan, which follows Minnesota guidelines. The plan also was reviewed by Kanabec County Health and local medical personnel.
The plan calls for holding the race on the Vasaloppet Nordic Center trails system as in recent years as well as the downtown start and finish, with multiple changes to meet COVID guidelines:
• Registration limit: All races are limited to 250 skiers per state guidelines
• Skier wellness: any skiers experiencing COVID-19 symptoms are asked not to participate
• Ski races will not have mass starts. Instead, skiers will be given assigned starting time windows and timed based on chips
• The Miniloppet, Skijoring and Fat Tire races are being planned for another weekend, with more information coming soon
• There will be no celebration tent or tent activities
• No changing rooms or bag drop-off/pick up
• Soup stops will be available, but will serve only liquids — not food
• There will be no awards ceremony
More information and updates can be found at http://vasaloppet.us/